Every Wednesday morning, the public library has a half hour time when children over 12 months, but under 24 months can come and have story time, sing songs, dance, etc. Commonly known as Mother Goose Time. Avery and I went for the first time two weeks ago. (We missed last week because she was running a fever.) I can't believe I haven't posted anything about that experience yet.
Two weeks ago: We were some of the first to arrive. I had Avery in what I thought at the time was a pretty cute outfit. Once we got there, I realized she had a couple of strings hanging off her shorts, and her shirt had a stain on it. Not a big deal. Then I look at the other little girl that was there, Riley. Wearing an adorable dress. Okay, well, her grandma must have gotten her dressed up for a special occasion. Then others begin to arrive. Sweaters, slacks, hair in fancy hairdos; Avery had on a barrette, only one couldn't see it because she had pulled it almost loose. Strike one on first impressions.
We head downstairs for Mother Goose Time to begin. All the other adults sat down around the rug and their little ones perched obediently in their laps. Avery kind of shoved me and ran up to the librarian, wanting to help turn the pages of the first book she read. She came back to me only after I stood up and had to gently guide her back to our designated spot on the rug. I figured she might do that though, so I wasn't too embarrassed about that. Then came shaker time. (Shakers=easter eggs with some kind of beads inside) Avery runs up to get her two shakers, then throws them on the floor and takes the shakers of another little girl. I quickly snatched them out of her hands and gave them back, apologizing. The mother kind of gave me a tight smile. Oops-strike two.
Onto scarves; again, Avery excitedly gets hers, but drops it and tries to take someone else's. This time, the girl whose shakers she stole looked really worried and her mom said, "Don't worry, she's not going to take your scarf." Another tight smile. Dang it! We're not making any friends! Avery does manage to get the scarf of a little boy named Ethan and knock him down at the same time. Remember that name, we're not done with Ethan. By the time scarf time is over, I am so ready for the half hour to have elapsed. But we still have pick out a book time.
"Pick out a book and take it back to your mommy, Avery," I hear the librarian tell Avery as Avery is grabbing about 5 books from the tub. "No, just one Avery. Just one-okay, take a couple." The librarian looks at me, "This happens with them all on their first time." Then it comes; I hear "Avery, gently! Gently!!" Then the librarian looks at me again and says "she must have a thing with hair." Yes, she had done it. Avery pulled little Ethan's hair. Strike 3. Ethan's mom didn't even give me a tight smile; she just avoided looking at us the rest of the time. In Avery's defense, he had kind of been in her way, plus he was still using a pacifier. Doesn't that sound like he was asking for it? I think she was just making her presence known-and it worked.
Fast forward to today. I woke up this morning slightly concerned about showing our faces at the library again, but thought maybe Ethan and stolen shaker girl weren't regulars and we could avoid seeing them again. Well, turns out that they ARE regulars so we DID see them again. Avery didn't pull any hair this time, but did steal a set of shakers. We knew the mom of that girl though, so it didn't seem to be quite as big a deal. Plus that little girl knocked some other little boy down pretty hard, so Avery wasn't quite the villain as she had been previously. Avery had a slight run-in with Ethan, but again, he was kind of in her way, so.... The best part about it all was Avery's little friend Harper was there too. They hadn't seen each other for a few weeks since we ran into them at Walmart, so it was nice to catch up with her mom. Here are a couple of pics I took this morning; Avery likes taking her clothes out of her drawers and trying to get dressed. Even though she is already dressed. Enjoy!
Ready for a nap!
What a ham!
No comments:
Post a Comment